Philip K Dick wrote this note about Abraham Abulafia to a friend, while working on his book VALIS. According to Philip, this was was marketed as sci-fi, but in reality it was not fully sci-fi, but more of an existential fiction and – some people say – story inspired by the biographical events that Philip K Dick mentioned in Exegesis. This message is dated April 23, 1979
This is to let you know that after four years of research and work I have finally finished my new novel VALIS for Bantam. In the writing I collaborated with the spirit of the 13th century Jewish Kabbalist Abraham ben Samuel Abulafia who seizes control of me from time to time, as circumstances require.
Hope all is well with you.
Philip K Dick
Abraham Abulafia Books include:
- Sefer ha-Geulah (1273), a commentary on The Guide for the Perplexed
- Sefer Chayei ha-Nefesh, a commentary on The Guide for the Perplexed
- Sefer ha-Yashar (“Book of the Upright/Righteous”) (1279)
- Sefer Sitrei Torah (1280), a commentary on The Guide for the Perplexed
- Chayei ha-Olam ha-Ba (“Life of the World to Come”) (1280)
- Or ha-Sekhel (“Light of the Intellect”)
- Get ha-Shemot
- Maftei’ach ha-Re’ayon
- Gan Na’ul, a commentary on Sefer Yetzirah
- Otzar Eden Ganuz, another commentary on Sefer Yetzirah
- Sefer ha-Cheshek
- Sefer ha-Ot (“Book of the Sign”) (1285 x 1288)
- Imrei Shefer (“Words of Beauty”) (1291)
Books about Abraham Abulafia include:
- Scholem, Gershom “Abraham Abulafia and the Doctrine of Prophetic Kabbalism, ch. 4, Major Trends in Jewish Mysticism”
- Idel, Moshe “The Renascence of Abraham Abulafia in the Last Generation”
- Idel, Moshe “Abraham Abulafia and the Prophetic Kabbalah”
- Idel, Moshe “The Mystical Experience in Abraham Abulafia” (Labyrinthos, 1992).
- Abulafia, Abraham “Meditations on the Divine Name”
- Abulafia, Abraham The Heart of Jewish Meditation: Abraham Abulafia’s Path of the Divine Names (Hadean Press, 2013).
- Wolfson, Elliot R. Abraham Abulafia—Kabbalist and Prophet: Hermeneutics, Theosophy and Theurgy. Los Angeles: Cherub Books, 2000).
- Hames, Harvey J. “Like Angels on Jacob’s Ladder: Abraham Abulafia, the Franciscans, and Joachimism”